Monday, July 25, 2016

Summer at the Abbey...

Hello friends,

This summer at the Abbey has been a very different experience from Queensland summers, enjoying long days of sunlight (4:30am - 9:30pm) and very mild temperatures. Earlier this month we hosted a week long Medicine Buddha retreat that was quite extraordinary in many ways. A double rainbow appeared on the last day. I'm working on two projects most days - in the mornings, I'm editing some talks that Venerable Chodron gave on prayers before and after meals, and I spend most afternoons painting the window trim on Gotami House, the large nuns accommodation, while learning to negotiate tall ladders.

We've finally arrived at the Middle Way Consequence school in our weekly Tenet classes with Jeffry Hopkins and he's leading us through an explanation on the two truths found in Lama Tsong Khapa's Illumination on the Thought that we studied during the Middle way studies. I'm also really enjoying studying Nagarjuna's Precious Garland. I recently lead a review on the two verses that His Holiness asked us to memorize in Brisbane last June [verses 80-1]. I enjoy leading the the occasional review classes here and there, and doing the BBC when asked. Here's one I did today.......

https://youtu.be/Sf3iT9ZOXl4


The longer I'm here, the more I appreciate what a wonderful conducive monastic environment the Abbey provides. Everything here supports seeing the mind, cultivating mindfulness and introspection to counter afflictions, seeing the kindness of others, and waking up! It's a very harmonious group of people genuinely intent on taming the self-grasping and self-cherishing in their minds. We also participate in NVC training twice a month which is such a powerful tool for developing empathy and good communication skills.

It's great to see Venerable Tsultrim from Chenrezig visiting the Abbey for three weeks. [Thanks for the Vegemite and books!] Marissa Brown from Queensland was also just here for a week. And I'm looking forward to a visit from my mother later in September.

I have requested the Shiksamana ordination and training from Venerable Chodron, which is the next step towards taking the Bhikshuni ordination. She has advised me to take my time, to continue observing and participating in the community, and checking to see if this is the right place for me.

I'm feeling very content and happy to be part of the community here at Sravasti Abbey!

Happy to hear from you,
Love, Tsepal x





No comments:

Post a Comment